Question:
Why does subway smell?
Danielle B
2009-01-23 12:40:18 UTC
Whenever i go to subway it always smells weird! I just had lunch there and now my coat even smells like it!
Why does it smell so bad??
22 answers:
2009-01-23 13:23:21 UTC
Haha.. I know the exact smell you are talking about. My guess would be the lunchmeat... keeping it out in the open like that. Or just a combination between that and the breads and veggies. Hmm... It's weird but the smell is so distinct I can smell in now.. in my head... without being there.
penGoOin
2009-01-23 14:54:27 UTC
That is HILARIOUS that you asked that. I was just thinking the same thing myself. I am thinking that it's the combination of the baked bread and meats/ cheeses/ toppings but you are so right. Each restaurant smells nearly identical. It's the "subway" smell...

You know, some restrurants purposely pump out certain smells, like cinnamon, garlic, or vanilla, to attract customers with the smells. Maybe we can get a Subway insider to tell us if this is the case with this restaurant. Perhaps there is a 'canned' Subway smell . . . :)
ohya
2014-03-23 15:40:50 UTC
To me, the horrible smell is worse in businesses that are NEXT to Subway restaurants. I actually haven't notice the smell in Subway restaurants themselves. So bad that I can't shop at my favorite record store because it's next to a Subway and reeks like vomit. My advice for Mark Christiano, Subway's "Global Baking Technologist" -- visit a few franchise neighbors. Take a whiff and ask the employees what the smell is -- you'll get an ear full. They know exactly where the stench is coming from. One business owner said the Subway next door agreed to vent differently so as to reduce stink in adjoining units. Unfortunately it hasn't helped.

The odor most likely comes from baking parmesan cheese. My friend calls my baguettes with parmesan baked on top 'throw-up bread' (not from Subway, from a local bakery). She claims to love the flavor but won't eat it because of the stink.

Bottom line is, don't ever lease space next to a Subway restaurant!!!
Where's my McNuggets?
2009-01-23 13:40:01 UTC
It's the sauce. I used to work at a place next to Subway, and their garbage always smelled like a Subway. You could tell especially when they threw out their sauce boxes. That's where it's coming from.
?
2016-11-12 00:35:52 UTC
NYC subway stinks so i understand that may not the only you're referring too! as a results of fact thoughtless people urinate on the platform besides as throwing trash on the floor and that mixture makes it scent.you're between the uncommon few who like it I hate it!
doahgolfer
2009-01-23 13:11:52 UTC
it's the lunchmeat, because it's kept out in the open and the smells travel through the air. i love the smell.
jillie
2009-01-23 20:44:10 UTC
my subway smells like fresh baked bread.
Kari M
2009-01-23 13:03:21 UTC
go in to any fast food restaurant and it will smell different.

food smells.
2009-01-23 14:21:03 UTC
probably the people who work there causing the smell >__<
Ronda Fleming
2015-08-17 19:38:49 UTC
It s the bread it has a sour yeasty smell
walking through life
2009-01-23 13:21:53 UTC
it doesn't smell there, but it might smell like the food.
Miguel G
2009-01-23 12:58:40 UTC
might be the smell of vinegar or toasters
Braidy
2009-01-23 17:47:45 UTC
Probaly because all of the various food.
2009-01-23 14:22:10 UTC
I don't smell it
wawakay
2009-01-23 15:36:17 UTC
Rotting meat in the open
Dead Man Walking
2009-01-23 13:08:56 UTC
It smells great.

It is from the food.
2009-01-23 18:32:00 UTC
They haven't got a refrigerator, so it is all off.
?
2016-08-02 16:54:00 UTC
This is good
Bob Rock